- Backpacking, Philmont style
- Friday night: Hike ~1 mile River Group Camping site
- Break camp Saturday morning and hike ~3 miles to 2nd campsite
- Take Spicewood Trail to Connecting Trail to River Back Pack Camping Area
- Sunday morning hike ~1 mile to parking lot
- Skills we will work on
- Trail cooking
- Purifying water
- Leave No Trace
- Packing and hiking
- Map & compass (BRING YOUR COMPASS)
» Packing List:
- All gear fit in or on your backpack
- Pair up to split tent and cooking gear
- Backpack stove, cook pot and utensils
- Biodegradable soap for washing dishes (Camp Suds)
- Food should be in containers that can be split-up and packed on Friday (see Grubmaster below)
- Each scout MUST have two 1-liter water bottles (does not need to be a Nalgene; a recycled Gator Aide or Ozarka is fine)
- Expect cold weather so pack a warm hat and long underwear
- Compass, small pad and pencil
- See the Campout Gear List
- Combine as many ingredients as you can at home so prep will be easy on the trail.
- Pack single servings into quart size zip-lock freezer bags.
- Pack all components for a meal in a gallon size freezer bags for easy packing.
- e.g. If you have 2 groups, you should have 2 bags for dinner, 2 for lunch, etc.
- Below are some example recipes. You may need to adjust measurements according to how many you are feeding. Search the web for more or be creative and make your own. I strongly suggest you test any recipe at home before the campout.
- Print Leave No Trace flier to review with scouts during the drive out
- Print park map and directions at top of page for yourself
- After entering park drive to T at camping area, turn left to go to parking area at end of road.
- We will hike back up the road to camp site #37at the opposite end
- We are parking here so it will be a shorter hike on Sunday morning
» Water Purification:
» Read the campouts
page for more details